Thursday, May 5, 2011

Fave Fives

So it was shock and awe for me to walk out of class this morning and see the sun. I'm in a goof mood even though I busted myself in the chin twice doing my cleans, and decided to do a list of the top 5 things I love about CF class:
1. Lifting heavy shit-- it just makes me feel like a badass, and knowing you can step it up and get stronger the next time is the greatest feeling

2. Pullups-- don't get me wrong, they're hard as hell and I still use a band lol. But the first class, I used THREE bands. And now that I have my kipping down it's only a matter of time till I'm on a weaker band, maybe one day none at all. High hopes! Lol

3. The People-- yeah, this should probably be number 1 but I'm not switching things around now haha. But in all seriousness, these are some of the coolest, most badass people I've ever met. Everyone has been nice and welcomed me since day 1, and there is always a feeling of camaraderie when you walk into that place.

4. Ashley-- she's pregnant and can still do every WOD better than the boys. She kicks my ass daily, doesn't let me bullshit around even when I'm tired and I start arching my back, and she always texts me to check in if I miss class. Do the lovely people at snap do that? I think not!

5. Paleo-- eating real food all the time just makes sense. If you want me to go in depth sometime I will, but the bottom line is you are what you eat. I wish I had known this several months ago when I was justifying eating weight watchers cake bc it fit into the points system, lol. The bottom line is, health really is 80% nutrition and only 20% what you're doing with your body. Doesn't mean you can't indulge once in awhile, but for God sakes put down the stack of oreos! Lol

Maybe it's the residual endorphins from this mornings epic WOD, or possibly the fact that the sun is out for the first time in like 3 months.. either way, I'm feeling relatively optimistic about this day despite the fact that I have to work and then go straight to a 5 hour class. I've been thinking a lot about what makes me happy and how that list has evolved over the past several months. Aside from my family and friends, the basis would have been an all-inclusive list of vices, foods, and other incredibly self destructive hobbies. Being that I'm only 5 wks from finishing my Bachelors (hallelieuja!!), I feel myself starting to slack a lot--I'm getting that old itch of senioritis that starts to spread from classwork and papers into the rest of my life pretty quickly. I felt lazy, and with the holiday parties I noticed my 90% paleo eating habits slipping to 85..80.. you can see where that leads.

Which is why I am so grateful for the May Paleo Challenge that most of us are participating in. It's 30 days, no cheats. Zero. No BLT's (Bites, Licks, Tastes).. no alcohol.. and for myself it also entails no paleo baking, gum chewing, or diet pop, because these are two of my crutches that I know keep me from doing the very best I can. I'm really hoping that I can stick it out because the physical and mental rewards are through the roof for a former food a holic like myself. I grew up living to eat instead of eating to live, and that's a really hard habit to break. So I'm ditching the paleo cookies and dark chocolate chips this month, I won't even snag a tootsie roll or Swedish fish from Connor's leftover Easter candy. We'll see where the next 25 days takes me!

1 comment: