Friday, June 10, 2011

Learning to love yourself

On to day 2 of my project, this is definitely one of the tougher ones for me because I'm always so Damn critical of my own body. Now I have to write about 5 things it can do!? Does 'storing an unacceptable amount of fat' count? Okay, I kid I kid, things have gotten much better and it's not necessarily my body's fault per se that I abused it so badly. But the truth is, I've never been 100% comfortable in my own skin. That's one gift I've received already from doing crossfit--I can finally feel that starting to subside. I love my arms, the dents that are starting to develop in my triceps, the muscle I can feel starting to develop in my ab wall, the smoothness of my calves. I'm finding good things, and trying to move past the bad. It's a start, right?

Five Things my Body Can Do:

1) My body can sustain life--not just for myself, but it can grow another human! I think we take the whole process for granted, but if you really sit down and think about it that is a freakin amazing ability. Not only that, but I was able to provide him with the nourishment he needed for the first 9 months he was on earth. A lot of people balk at the idea of nursing their children, and gone are the days when it would be acceptable to whip out a boobie and go to town, but it was one of the proudest decisions I ever made as a young mom because it was selfless.

2) Coupled with number 1 above, my body can give birth sans pain medication. Tell me that doesn't make me a badass!!

3) My body is incredibly self-sustaining, something I've noticed now that I pay more attention to its cues rather than blindly adhering to some kind of schedule. I've realized that I am rarely as hungry as I used to be, and that a lot of those hunger pangs were just based on the fact that my body was used to getting a meal at X time. I eat when I'm hungry, some days more often than others but solely based on necessity and not 'cuz it's time.' I sleep when I'm tired, rest when I'm overly sore, and don't pop a pill every time I feel the slightest ache.

4) My body has the ability to endure a lot. The other day I went out for only my 3rd run since March. I used to be the cardio queen, so I wasn't expecting to be able to do nearly as much as I used to let alone my speed. I ran to the ball park to watch some Sunday softball, then went back home to drive my route and was shocked to see that I had run 4.5 miles with very little difficulty! Crossfit has improved my strength and endurance in a huge way, there's no doubting it!

5) My body can forgive... it has done an amazing job of bouncing back in the past 10 months from YEARS of abuse with overeating and underexercising. For this, I am most thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment