Thursday, June 23, 2011

Making Fran your B*tch

Ok so maybe I didn't make her my bitch, but I did have one of the highest PR's in our CF group for the "Fran-off." For those who don't understand what I'm talking about, Fran is one of the core benchmark workouts for CrossFit. It's a good measure of where you are in your abilities, and in May I did it for the first time along with the rest of my crew. You should know something about Fran--she should be done fast. Real fast, like 3-4 minutes fast. 21 Thrusters with a 65 lb bar, 21 pull-ups, then 15 of each, then 9 of each--and it can be done so don't even shake your head like you don't believe me. At any rate, my modified Fran was a 55# bar and pull-ups using dark blue and red bands because I suck at those, and my time in May was 7:34.

Yesterday I walked into class with a purpose. I had so much nervous energy balled up in my stomach that I could puke, I get that all the time but I'm not sure why.. it's not like I've ever NOT finished a workout or something. Definitely had a few "come to Jesus" moments, but never officially died on the floor there. So instead of freaking the fuck out, I told myself I could do it and that I was fine.. and that not only was I going to PR, but I was going to push myself as hard as I could from the jump.

By the way, you wouldn't believe how many thoughts can go through your head in 6 short minutes; it's pretty amazing when I think about it. When the boss yells "3, 2, 1, GO!" I always have that second of hesitation where my body says "no I can't do this!" to which my brain replies "The hell you can't!" and I fall into a rhythm. I have a tendency to count backwards in my head because getting to 1 seems so much more monumental than randomly counting to 21 one time then 9 the next--ONE is always the end point. And then while I'm counting backwards in my head, I'm talking to myself like "keep pushing," or "one more before you take a break," and then there's "stop breathing so much." Yesterday there was a moment on the pull-up bar where I thought for sure my hand was about to tear or something.. I had it pinched funny and almost decided to stop and readjust. Until I remembered I was on my last 9, and that was clearly just a waste of precious seconds so I just kept going til I got down to 1. (As it turns out my damn hand was fine anyway.)

I had a mild idea about where I was time-wise throughout the whole ordeal, but to be honest I was mostly focused on just going as fast as my F-A could carry me lol.. so I think I surprised myself when I looked at the times on the board and realized I had PR'd by over a minute--6:16 to be exact. No, I didn't do Fran unmodified, and I wasn't the fastest person to finish, but to be able to physically see a difference in where you are as far as your abilities from one month ago--those are real results. Everyone kicked their own ass! That's motivation and inspiration at it's finest!

No comments:

Post a Comment