Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Paleo Gripes: Why I HATE Giving people advice...

Today 5:30 was too early for me to be awake; I'm not on a morning schedule at all right now, so I'm probably going to need a nap if I want to salvage the rest of this day with any level of productivity. But right now I'm waiting to pick Connor up from my parents house, so I'll enjoy an iced tea and some bitching before I do so. Let me qualify this by first saying that I love when people ask me about paleo or Crossfit. Two of my favorite subjects, sometimes I have to cut myself off because I know it probably gets annoying to listen to me drone on about these two subjects to no end. But I really believe in both of them as an important part of my life, so sometimes I have a hard time reigning it in. That being said, one of my biggest irks is when people ask me about it and then proceed to do one of the following:

1. Tell me that I'm wrong, or that I "need" grains/carbs/fill in the blank as to whatever other bullshit food group that they put stock in.. Really, because YOU'RE looking a little bloated today! Perhaps it's the 37 servings of grain that the government has prescribed you! Don't stand in front of me with a footlong sub, a bag of doritos, and a 40 of Coke and tell ME about health and macronutrients. Grab you a copy of Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat," then come find me and we'll have an educated conversation about food (over a 3 egg omelette and an order of bacon ;)

ORRRRR...

2. Ask me to dedicate my precious time and energy telling you EVERYTHING I know about Paleo/macronutrient breakdown and why carbs drive insulin drive fat.... and then continue to eat like an asshole. And THEN give me a whole crapload of excuses why you're doing it. Guess what? I don't care what you put in your body; what I do care about is that you not waste my time bitching about your weight or how bad you feel when you obviously have no ambition to do anything to change it. They say "when you know better, you do better." Definitely not the case with some people.

We only get this one life, and this one body to live it in. I've been down the hard road where I let things get out of control, and I know the struggle and the toll it takes mentally and physically to bring yourself back. Hell, I'm still not 100% where I want to be but I'm certainly not giving up--I know if I stay on this road it'll take me where I want to be. Maybe this wasn't my usual funny and light-hearted message for the day, but sometimes you gotta get bitchy so people will sit up and listen.

3 comments:

  1. Reading that book right now!. Definitely adds a lot of perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Excellent and really informative book!

    ReplyDelete