Saturday, February 4, 2012

Is it too late for a Resolution?

Back again. My life pretty much went to hell in a handbasket (ironically enough) about a week or two after what I could only describe as a borderline religious experience at Back to the Ranch. IT WAS FREAKIN AWESOME. The high of doing that, seeing all those amazing athletes, and WOD'ing for a great cause really stuck with me for a long time. But I'm a creature of habit--as long as I'm sticking with the plan everything goes smooth, and when I don't do that... well... I tend to "Derail" as my parents so lovingly describe it ;)An unfortunate series of events, illnesses, and excuses later, I was AWOL from the gym and proceeded to hit the holiday eating with full force. I made a few special guest appearances at the box in December, but once again "life derailment" occurred and I spent the entire week before Christmas on the couch in a bundle of pajamas and tears.

It took a lot for my to pick myself up by my bootstraps yet again (you'd think I would be really good at that by now), but I'm finally feeling like myself again. I'm working at a job I love with people I love even more thanks to my Crossfit connections :D, I'm back to eating like a sane person, and I'm refocused on getting my ass in the gym and pounding pavement on days that I can't WOD. But I know myself, and I know that I absolutely need goals to maintain focus--tangible, mark-off-a-list type shit that I can look at and know where it begins and ends.

So yeah, I know it's February, and I've never been a fan of the whole "New Year's Resolution" song and dance because I feel like it sets you up for failure to decide you're going to do something if you really aren't ready to commit to it... but I've been thinking about some things I'd really like to accomplish, and decided on a CF related goal that I can dig into. See I came into this box and immediately wanted to be great, but I didn't place enough importance on developing my fundamental skills. Who cares if I can deadlift 255 if I can't even do a f*cking pullup? Of course it's great to beat my last time on a WOD, but not if I'm still doing triple the number of jump ropes because I haven't taken the time to work on double-unders. Unmodified push ups. Handstand push ups. Dips. Higher box jumps. It's clear that I suck at body weight movements, but instead of ignoring it and just trying to beast out faster times at more weight (still important) I wanna knock these other things out one at a time. Can't build a house without a solid foundation. Incidentally, I did cross one thing off my list today. Handstands. One down!

1 comment:

  1. So good to see you back on the blog again. Also glad to see you back at the box and happy as ever. Keep chug'n girl, you'll be crossing off more on that list sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete