Friday, March 2, 2012

Drink the Kool-Aid


Do you ever think back as to why you began Crossfit in the first place? It's been almost a year since I started my love affair with the box. Granted I strayed a few months here and there, but only because I let what was most important to me take a backseat to a lot of unnecessary bullshit. So I was thinking about what brought me to Crave in the first place.. I had actually emailed Ashley a few months prior just to see what it was all about, but at the time I was in really poor shape and just beginning to reclaim my health. Several months later I was talking to my zumba instructor (Josie :) who said that she had just started taking classes and I jumped at the chance to go too--in fact, I showed up the next morning for the 6 am class! I'd made my way into every workout known to man by this point--running, kickboxing, zumba, triathalon style training... working out at least twice a day... but nothing had prepared me for Crossfit. The first two weeks were GRUELING, I napped every morning for like 3 hours after class! But eventually it became second nature and the aches weren't so unbearable.
I think I was pretty much hooked from the beginning, but I can't pinpoint exactly what it was that brought me back every day begging for more. These days I do the occasional zumba class or go for a run, but in the workout realm of my life Crossfit is second to nothing. So why do we do it? What makes the WOD such an irresistable b*tch? This is my personal (Pinterest) compilation of reasons why I Crossfit:

>To change my life, one rep at a time
>To be able to sell more tickets to the gun show!
>Because I want to be a BEAST!
>Because it takes ALL I've got, yet somehow gives back more
>Cause I love when I'm randomly walking around looking at big stuff secretly sizing it up and thinking "I could totally lift that..."
>To be able to endure ANYTHING
>Because the stronger you are, the better you feel
>To (one day) not be ashamed of my body
>Because I'm making myself a fighter
>To feel like I'm on top of the world after every damn WOD
>Because every day is one step closer to who I want to be
>To shock everyone, including myself, with what I can accomplish




Crossfit is about so many things--strength, endurance, speed, lifting heavy shit... but the reach is far beyond that. It's about friends and family, a sense of pride and community that no one can truly understand until they become an indoctrinated member of the club. All the CF-haters call it a cult, and maybe they're right...

But if you just drink the kool-aid I'm sure you'll understand ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment